Saturday, March 2, 2013

My First Finished Quilt




While I was pregnant with my second child, I decided I wanted to make the new baby a quilt. We didn't find out if it was going to be a boy or a girl, so I wanted something gender neutral, and something easy. 

So I made a trip to Thimble and Thread,  my favorite LQS by that point. As always it was a very helpful experience. They had a charm pack pattern, Straight to the Point - Baby Charms, for a baby/lap sized quilt that they were giving away for free with the purchase of the materials to make it. 

I found a lovely line of fabric - Miss Jump's Scrapbag which was designed by Linda Brannock for Moda. The pattern was very simple, but I still had a lot of mishaps along the way. 

First you just sewed together rows of charm squares, once you had them all together, you cut it on the diagonal and spun it around and sewed it back together, put a border around it... Back, Quilt, and Bind as desired. Well somehow I managed to cut the fabric for the border too short (see below)! UGH! 



So the first of many quilt pattern modifications began for me, this one was an accident, but as I have progressed I begun modifying patterns and tutorials to make them what I prefer, or to fit the fabric I have. 
This time I cut squares from coordinating fabric and put them at each corner of the border. It worked out well and everyone thinks that's the way its supposed to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment