Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Wonky Log Cabin Grunge Quilt - Committed



Last Monday I wrote about my issues with committing to fabric for my Master Bedroom Quilt... Well I committed and there is no turning back!

After hours of looking at fabric and designs, I am going in a direction that is completely out of my norm... I have never made a quilt with only solids, but I think it will be lovely when its finished.

Fabric - Seven different colors of Grunge by Basic Grey.

PB&J Fluffer Nutter
PB&J Jelly
PB&J Basket
PB&J Creamy
Pear
Kissing Booth Dark Chocolate
Charmed


Design - Well I said I wasn't going to do this... but I am. I searched for a pattern, and although I found some images of quilts I liked, I couldn't find patterns for them... So I drew my own. I will make 9 wonky log cabin blocks, with 4 different fabrics in each, measuring 26 inches square upon completion. Then I will use Fluffer Nutter to create a 10 inch border between each block on all sides.

I ordered about 1/2 the fabric, since it is going to take about 20 yards of fabric just to make the top!

I was able to make quick work of the first 3 Wonky Log Cabin squares on Saturday, these goes quickly, but haven't had time to get into my sewing nook this week. If I had a good solid day to sew, I think I could do the whole top, but of course I only have half the fabric so I will need to order more before I can finish it anyway.



I am starting with an approximately 8 inch wonky square in the center, and then I use 3 1/2 inch strips to go around the square. The wonky affect that I am using isn't huge, but I am not creating perfect squares.




I really hope to make some progress on it later in the week and this weekend... We shall see.

What are you working on this week?

2 comments:

  1. It is scary to commit to fabric sometimes. I feel your pain. It looks like it's going to be an awesome quilt when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I have the same issue with committing to fabric. I thought I had just the right fabrics picked out ..... but now with our move and new bedroom I have changed my mind! I like your solids idea!

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete