Monday, May 20, 2013

Philippians 4:8 Wall Hanging - Finished!!!

"...Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of Praise." Philippians 4:8


I am so excited to finally write this post. I ordered fabric for this project back in March, and even did some cutting in March, you can read about the start here... But a few other projects cut in line and it took longer than I anticipated.

Also, once I really got started on it, I added in some Kona Canary Yellow and I really wasn't sure about it. My husband and some of you readers really liked it (you can read about that here)... so I went with it, hoping that I would eventually fall in love.

Last week I didn't sew/quilt quite as much as I hoped, but when I did I really got to work and made some progress.

I finished the quilt top on Thursday... Sorry about the pic, the wind was blowing and I couldn't get the top to stay flat!


I used wide strips (13 inches) of Kona Gray and Kona Pond to back the quilt. Since it is a wall hanging I figured the back won't be seen so it didn't matter too much. I was able to do a little quilting on Thursday night, but didn't get too far. 

Friday I finished it up!



I don't know what the quilting design is called, I just saw a quilt online from Oh Fransson where she did something similar, so I tried to replicate it. I didn't do the greatest at it, but it works. I used Kona Canary to bind it, to finish out the framing. I wanted the wall hanging finished because I have had a blank wall in my living room for too long, so I machine bound it. This is the first time I have done that with a quilt, it worked, but I do prefer hand binding. 


Close up of the quilting on the back. 


So now it is hanging on the blank wall in my living room. I am still not as in love as I had hoped. I think the colors are a bit out of my "norm" but I am sure it will grow on me... And it is much better than plain burlap plaques on the wall. 


I may not be so sure about the color combination, but I love the words, and I do love that they are hanging in our living room where our family will see them every day. I hope that we do not grow complacent to their meaning and that we daily remember to - Fix our thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. And to Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise."  Philippians 4:8.


I have already moved on to my next project, and will post about it later this week!

Linking up with Plum and June's Let's Get Acquainted, hosted by The Sewing Chick.




5 comments:

  1. Well done. I like when there is a meaning behind and here obviously in front as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,
    I think it turned out wonderful!! Terrific quilt!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely quilt! I like how each block is different and the canary binding is a great choice!!
    Thanks for linking up with Lets Get Acquainted today!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how the colors are subtle - something I'd be more likely to hang on my living room wall. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a inspirational piece. Your quilting looks great too. I love doing that design. I came from let's get acquainted and saw you like camping in Wi (me too)!

    ReplyDelete