Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Nursery Decor and Crib Quilt - WIP

I had really planned to do much more sewing/quilting last week than I actually did, but the weekend was busier than I planned. I managed to finish the crib bumpers. 

I cut the fabric for the crib skirt, but I am waiting for the crib to arrive to sew the crib skirt, just in case the "standard" measurements don't work. 



By the way here is a pic of the crib. 

Dream On Me - Liberty 4-in-1 Convertible...

It has been quite some time since I have had a baby, and I have learned in the crib buying process that finding a crib with the railing that slides up and down is virtually impossible. I understand that those types of cribs are no longer safe and I must now have a "fixed side" crib... Honestly this is posing a big problem for my rather petite self (4ft 11in to be exact). So I decided that I will have to find myself a cute step stool to keep in the nursery just to be able to lay the baby in his crib without tossing him LOL! I know the mattress adjusts and when they are tiny babies it can be up high, so that will be helpful, but once the mattress has to be lowered I am not sure how it is going to work.
 Of course, if I wasn't so insistent on nursing and rocking my babies to sleep this wouldn't be an issue either. Like my husband says, why do we even need a crib, our babies never even sleep in it. He is right, the crib is basically a way to display the adorable crib bedding I am making and to decorate the nursery. 

I was so tempted to make a "puff quilt" as the crib quilt, but after much internal debate, my practical side won out. Whew! A puff quilt is way too heavy to actually be used as a blanket, so I am just making a "regular" quilt. 

Since the fabric I chose is so bold and bright, I chose to keep the quilt design simple. I cut 6X6 squares from 7 different fabrics. I lined them up in rows, 7 across and 9 down, with each pattern coming down at a diagonal. 




I have all but two rows sewn together and plan to finish the top within the next couple of days. Once the top is complete attaching the Minky and quilting should go quickly... But I think I would like to applique the baby's name or initials or something on the back. 

That is what I am sewing this week! 


4 comments:

  1. Adorable! I love the bold colors.
    I had the same problem finding a crib when my son was born in 2007 - it does make life difficult for us "less tall" folks. Best wishes with your new wee one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your choice of fabrics. I too have the same problems with crib sides. I love going back home to my parents as they still have my old crib so it's always been so much easier to put my boys to bed there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats with #3 boy on the way! I love the colors and fabric you have chosen for his quilt! I am so excited for you! Interesting I have my own little accounting business working at home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun quilt! Congrats on your baby. Yea, it's a shame after all those "crib projects", that it all goes down so fast (they don't stay in those cribs too long).

    ReplyDelete