Thursday, April 16, 2015

Dr Seuss Birthday Party





January 25, 2015 Matias turned 1 YEAR OLD!!! It was so much fun to plan his birthday party! I planned a Dr Suess themed party. Here are a few of the things that I did...

Centerpieces

I made 8 or so centerpieces for the tables. I used $1.00 tin buckets and hot glued styrofoam balls into the bottom of the buckets, shoved tissue paper on top, hot glued cutouts of the #1 or the letter M, or Dr Suess Characters to shish-ka-bob skewers and stuck those in. Then I used curled pipe-cleaners, feathers (hot-glued to the skewers), and pinwheels to give each centerpiece its own look. The centerpieces turned out very nice and added a lot to the decorations.



Buntings and Banners

I wanted buntings for the cake and food table, the candy buffet, as well as over the windows. I used paper and my Cricut Explore to create the following buntings. 

For the #1 Bunting I cut out several large #1s, as well as printed Dr Suess "cupcake toppers" that I found online. I punched holes in these and threaded them on ribbon (I did hot glue them as well so they wouldn't slide around). Hung with balloons and ribbons on the side they worked out well. 



1-12 Months Bunting - I used my Cricut Explore to cut out circles of different sizes as well as numbers. I hot glued the circles to clothes pins and strung on a ribbon with pictures of Matias for each month. This bunting adorned the candy buffet. 


Happy Birthday Bunting - I made a template for the "triangle flags" and with a ruler and pencil drew lines and cut them out by hand. I used my Cricut Explore to cut the circles and letters. This large bunting was over the cake and food table.

Happy Birthday Matias


High Chair Bunting - I AM ONE - I used my Cricut Explore to cut out the squares and I printed the words for I-AM-ONE. 

High Chair Banner - I Am One

Quotes and Other Miscellaneous Decorations

I printed a lot of Dr. Seuss Quotes on card stock using free fronts I found online, then I glued the quotes to colorful paper and hung them on fishing line from the ceiling. 


As "filler" decorations I used Crepe Paper, Tissue Paper Pom Poms, Balloons, and Dr Seuss Cutouts. 




Truffula Forest Entryway





Tables and Stations - I had 4 tables set up to eat on, but we also had the food and cupcake table, as well as a candy buffet, and a sign in table. 

Party/Eating Room and Tables - Each table had an aqua or red table cloth, a centerpiece, two Dr. Suess books, and some Dr. Suess Character due cuts. 



Happy Birthday Book Table - I bought an inexpensive picture frame and hot glued die cuts to it, used scrapbook paper as a background and printed a sign. The sign said, "Stop here you see and write a very special message to me! A Birthday wish or just saying hi to your very favorite one year old guy! On the front, the back, or any pages it's something I will treasure all my ages.




Candy Buffet - Of course it was filled with lots of candy, but there were a few extra special touches, that made it a Suessical Candy Buffet. 

I included toothbrushes and a framed quote "Lots of sweets and candy may seem like dandy, but our teeth come in handy when we want to smile. So take a toothbrush and brush real good so you can keep your teeth around for awhile!" 

I made labels to go on paper goodie bags that said, "Today was great! Today was fun! Thank you Thank you Everyone! Love, Matias" 





Food and Cupcake Table  



We had Green Eggs (deviled eggs) & Ham


I printed the Dr Seuss circles and then used my Cricut to cut out the scallops and then hot glued them to lollipop sticks. 

I made the cupcakes - strawberry with cream cheese filling and chocolate with chocolate mousse filling. 

Nate (my husband) made this really fun and whimsical cup cake holder. 


Food - Unfortunately I didn't get pictures of the food... Things got kind of crazy right as guests were showing up and the pictures didn't get taken. We had Roast Beast (Smoked Brisket), Green Eggs & Ham, Poodle Noodles (Pasta Salad), and Chips. To drink we had Once-ler Wassail and Pink Ink Drink (Sparkling Strawberry Limeade). 

Birthday Boy's Outfit - I made a diaper cover, bow tie and suspenders. 











We had a lovely first birthday party for our baby boy and I am so glad that Nate convinced me to go with the Dr. Seuss theme! It was so much fun to plan and create a Suessical Party for my little guy!










No comments:

Post a Comment